Friday, June 4, 2010

For my daughter on a difficult day

Threatening to run way is a rite of passage for all little girls, at least from what I am told. I just thought I had about 5-10 more years before I had to cross this bridge.  I did it, my mom did it and everyone I talk to has a child who did it and a mommy with a story of laughter, tears and a heart that grew larger as it was breaking.  Mothers and daughters love each other in a special way, maybe its because we see so much of ourselves in each other.  I don't know, but I do know at only 4 years of age, that my daughter is going to be an amazing woman some day.  Children are a gift to us, on loan from God to raise into good, strong, self confident people who will hopefully choose to give back much more than they were given.  They learn by example.  If you have children, be good to them and love them, wisely but without limits.  Allow them to become the people they were meant to become with the unconditional support and acceptance that only a parent can give.   I am embracing and enjoying every bump, turn and stall of this ride I will take along side them.  Even though raising children is like being nibbled to death by ducks!



To my daughter the day you ran away.  (Its ok, you never actually left)


We had a big fight today, the worst one yet,
I am not sure what started it, a hard day I guess.
We argued and screamed until we both cried
I wanted to make it better for you and I promise I tried.
We retreated to our corners and didn’t speak for hours
When we passed in the hallway, we transferred barbs and scowls.

The words that were said were painful to hear
They hurt leaving our mouths and they attacked our ears.
I remember your face as I made several comments, the ones that made you flinch
You fought with strength of a well thought out plan, dug in without moving an inch.
Loving each other is a difficult task, not an easy promise to keep
But love is a powerful tie that binds and in families, it runs oceans deep.

We hurt the ones we love the most because we feel comfortable, safe and secure
I know this is only the beginning of what a mommy must endure
This tantrum was you testing limits and how far I would let you go
To see if you could push the buttons, that you already so very well know.

I made a vow when I saw your face
That I would love you forever, beyond time and space
I have not wavered and am truly amazed
How it grows stronger and stronger with every phase.

Today while angry you said you were leaving and you were determined to go.
I knew it would come but it still bothered me more than I could show.
We all want to leave sometime and it usually comes to packing
Before we realize wherever we go will certainly be lacking
A person to be there, to wipe away tears,
To come when you call and extinguish your fears.

I sat down and cried while I listened to you fumble
In your room packing bags, while you angrily grumbled.
I did it when I was young, but decided to stay
When I looked back at home moving distantly away.
I welcomed you back as my mother did me
Because I will want you with me, for all eternity

Strong, kind and confident, bright, and beautiful are you
I hold in my heart a love that withstands anything you do.
I hurt when you hurt and your precociousness takes my breath
Worry and fear are malignant, and when you are sick I die a thousand deaths

One day you will grow up and go out into the world
But for now you are mommy’s precious little girl.

What you did today made me love you even more
My darling girl you ran away from home and you are only 4!




2 comments:

  1. you always make me laugh and now you made me cry. i love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got me crying at work.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete